Susan's Word

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

More About Editing

Yesterday's Post - My Journey Through the Editing Process - was written at the request of my Calgary mystery writing group Mystery Writers INK. It was posted on the INK blog site http://mysterywritersink.blogspot.com on July 2, 2010.I am now drafting part 2. Look for it here and on the INK site soon.

I joined Mystery Writers INK in the fall of 2003, when I started writing A Deadly Fall. INK meets monthly to network and hear speakers on topics relating to writing and mysteries. We've learned about forensics, poisons, novel structure and much more. Over the years, I've found INK a great source of information, support and contacts.

During my recent editing process some questions came up about Canadian criminal charges. I e-mailed two people who had spoken at INK: an RCMP officer and a human rights lawyer. Both replied instantly with detailed comments that will make my novel a touch more realistic.

The most recent INK blog post features the following quote by an editor on the editing process. I'd like to think I approach editing like this writer:

One of my authors says that when I point something out as weak, he either cuts it (knowing I’m right) or re-doubles his efforts to make it work. I think that’s a great response to editorial feedback.

Andy Meisenheimer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home